Books and Reviews at Greenberry House

Like most booksellers, reading is a large part of my life here at Greenberry House. I have a special old chair, so worn that it sags, where I love to curl up with a good book. Old favorites, exciting new writers, spiritual or challenging, fiction or fact; all pass through my hands and many are worthy of comment. I plan an occasional mention here of a recent book I've read, either to recommend or to warn!

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Slow Road Home

I was honored on Thursday morning with the chance to interview Fred First, author of a wonderful new book of memoir, Slow Road Home. I won't say much about it, partly because I want to save my impressions for the book review I'm writing for the Blue Ridge Gazette and partly because I wasn't sure if Fred was ready to announce that he was doing interviews. But his blog is commenting on the exciting news that the book will be available soon.

Personally I can't wait to get my hands on a real copy of this book. I have been delving into a review copy .pdf file on the computer, but there's nothing like holding a volume in your hands. I'm a person that devours books, reading cover to cover in a rush to absorb words and meaning and experience. But this lovely book stopped me cold sentence after sentence. It's a book to pick up and savor, then put down to think about the phrases and meanings. I'll be reading this memoir for years. It speaks of a man's personal journey, and it speaks to my personal journey. I am in awe.

Pay a visit; you'll be delighted!

Slow Road Home ~ A Blue Ridge Book of Days
by Fred First / Goose Creek Press / Floyd, Virginia
website: http://goosecreekpress.pbwiki.com/FrontPage
weblog: http://fragmentsfromfloyd.com
email: fred1st@gmail.com

2 Comments:

  • At 3:27 PM, October 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can't believe it!!!I didn't see this blog...I'm ashamed...I'm so happy...new ideas ...and that's the type of books I love...I hope they aren't too difficult for a non English Mousie...
    I want to read them all...but now a question...I can't find any girls having read "a country year" by Sue Hubbell, a book I love...have you? Lovely to have new readings, I love it so much...
    See you dear
    Mousie

     
  • At 1:52 AM, February 09, 2007, Blogger Peaceful/Paisible said…

    so funny, I saw a comment, but me too!!!since that comment I read many things about Fred First and found him so interesting...It's impossible for me to buy the book as My credit card isn't ok, but sure I'll manage to do it one day...
    strange I'm the only one to leave comments on this blog, there're so many interesting things to read...
    see you Leslie
    Mousie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home