Books and Reviews at Greenberry House

Like most booksellers, reading is a large part of my life here at Greenberry House. I have a special old chair, so worn that it sags, where I love to curl up with a good book. Old favorites, exciting new writers, spiritual or challenging, fiction or fact; all pass through my hands and many are worthy of comment. I plan an occasional mention here of a recent book I've read, either to recommend or to warn!

Thursday, April 09, 2009

Crochet Me!

Crochet Me

Designs to Fuel the Crochet Revolution

by Kim Werker

Interweave Press, Publisher, October 2007

 

 

$21.95.  Get out your hooks, Crochet fans!  Kim Werker, editor of Interweave Crochet magazine and the founder of crochetme.com, has gathered together a group of hip designers and created a book of innovative and stylish designs.  The eighteen patterns range from bags to sweaters and leave granny squares and crocheted flowers far behind.

 

I particularly liked the looks of both the Babydoll Dress by Amy O'Neill Houck and the Leaves Sweater by Annette Petavy.  Both designs use fine yarn to accomplish a beautiful drape.  In fact, there were only two designs that I saw in the entire book that used worsted weight yarns; all the others use DK weight and finer.  One great feature, especially for a hand spinner, is the substitution section for each pattern that gives a guide to the actual size of the yarn used.  There is a section on techniques and a list of suppliers. 

 

One of my favorite things about this book is that each designer is profiled extensively, and most of them have blogs and web sites!   

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home